- Government of India opertionalized National Wetland Conservation Programme (NWCP) in closed collaboration with concerned State Government during the year 1985/86. Under the programme 115 wetlands have been identified till now by the Ministry which requires urgent conservation and management initiatives.
Aim of the Scheme
- Conservation and wise use of wetlands in the country so as to prevent their further degradation.
Objectives of the Scheme
The scheme was initiated with the following objectives:-
- to lay down policy guidelines for conservation and management of wetlands in the country;
- to undertake intensive conservation measures in priority wetlands;
- to monitor implementation of the programme; and
- to prepare an inventory of Indian wetlands.
Proposed funding pattern under the Scheme
- Financial assistance under NWCP is provided for two components i.e. Management Action Plan (MAP) and Research Projects. Under the Scheme, 100% assistance is provided for activities.
- Conservation and management of wetlands is primarily vested with the State/UTs, who are in physical possession of the area.